for wood-based materials producer Finsa
“Servicio integral” for a traditional Siempelkamp customer
In 2014/2015, SLS carried out an extensive modernization project for Finsa, a leading European company in the wood-based materials sector headquartered in Santiago de Compostela and a Siempelkamp customer for decades. The measure involved restoring the ContiRoll® that had been operating there since 1998 to the current state of the art.
The starting position
Finsa produces wood-based materials in panel form and has evolved with its portfolio into one of the leading companies in this sector. From chipboard, via MDF, to surface coating, special products and the further processing of finished panels, Finsa offers a broad spectrum of products.
In order to meet the renewed increase in demand after having survived a slump in the wake of the economic crisis in 2008/2009, Finsa will in the future produce chipboard panels and superPan, a Finsa-specific product with a centre layer of chipboard and covering layer of MDF, on a tried and tested Siempelkamp plant.
The assignment facing SLS, in addition to carrying out the retrofit of the existing plant, also involved executing the move from Spain to a modern operating facility 700 km away in Portugal.
Impressions of the Finsa retrofit
An overview of the retrofit concept for Finsa
- Coordination of all the cross-border relocation
- Extension of the ContiRoll® by 6.6 m
- Additional ventilation zone for improved presealing of the MDF covering layers
- Modernization of the chainguides, belt tracking cages and deflection rollers
- Supply of spare and wearing parts
- Modifications in connection with the cooling and stacking lines
- Replacement of the control unit of double diagonal saw and thrust bearing regulating system
- Installation of modern visualization
- Overhauling the press heating plates: Manual cleaning, optical inspection, repair and optimization at SLS in Krefeld, followed by shipping to Portugal
- Increase in plant capacity to 1,200 m3 of chipboard panels or superPan per day
- Ensuring cost-effective and competitive production